Monday, April 5, 2010

A Lesson I Learned from Christ on the Cross

Happy Easter, everyone. It truly is the celebration of an amazing event in history, and even more importantly, an opportunity for a strong witness of the Spirit. I know that Christ was on that Cross, and that He not only was resurrected to impart the reality that I, too, shall be resurrected, but that He suffered, died and paid for my pain and my sins, albeit in some way that I cannot begin to comprehend.

He said something that has been a powerful lesson to me, and I would like to share it. (Some of you have heard me say this before....sorry!)

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

To me, that is a pattern for me to consider and follow throughout my life. It is simple enough to realize that those who crucified Him did not know that they were crucifying the Savior of the world, but there is more meaning in my heart. I believe that every time anyone, including me, commit a sin, that at that moment (at least) they do not realize what they are doing. By that I mean, they do not realize the implications and the consequences and the import of their acts. If we truly knew of eternity and the love of God and His plan, we would all choose not to sin. It is our lack of "knowing", it seems to me, that causes us to fail.

For me and my life, this means that I need to get to KNOW Him better, KNOW who He is, and what His plan is.

For others who may choose to judge me unrighteously or strive to offend me, inflict pain or anger against me or those I love, etc., it means that I will forgive them, because truly they know not what they do.

The gifts that we have been offered as a result of His sacrifice are many. I know that I am not even aware of all of them as yet. I am so grateful.

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment